Sunday, 15 October 2017

Before Storm Ophelia

Asters (Michaelmas daisies) before the wind gets to them! 

These chrysanthemums got flattened by the last storm, so now in a vase for safety 

Took the last of the apples off before the wind does it for me! These are Spartan, with 2 Blenheim Orange.

Monday, 28 August 2017

Pond Building Part 2

After a little bit of tinkering and adjusting, we have now planted up the pond, here is a list of the plants, anti-clockwise from bottom right of the picture . 
  1. Trollius - globe flower
  2. Nymphaea candida - water lily
  3. Mental aquatica - water mint
  4. Veronica beccabunga - Brooklime
  5. Pontederia cordata-pickerel plant
  6. Unl
  7. Mares tail oxygenator (no label) 

Wednesday, 23 August 2017

Pond building

 This year has been one of projects.  We decided to try a pond, starting with a couple of low tech bowl ponds.
 While these were successful in attracting insects and frogs, the nearby vegetation caused problems and we then decided to embark on a bigger pond.
 Here it is largely dug out, we put it in an area which had been full of nettles which we killed and dug out.
We have used pondliner, a cheap and adaptable way to create a pond. It is part filled, so the next step is to move in some plants, especially oxygenating plants so the newts, toads and frogs can breed next year.

Sunday, 23 April 2017

April 2017

 We're in the season of cherry blossom.
 The plum tree has been flowering well too.

 Dwarf narcissi have been spectacular.

 More plum blossom.
 On the veg plot, our reconstruction and clearing efforts have resulted in a new herb bed and two much larger beds bordered by new paths all around. The compost bins have been moved to a shaded spot behind the camera in this photo.
 As an example of what this clearance work involves, here is a before and after pic of an area containing self seeded raspberries and nettles.  The nettles will be finally cleared with weedkiller.
 Digging out raspberries on a steep slope is not recommended!
The Robin enjoyed our efforts with lots of food provided for him.  Next week will be planting week.

Sunday, 26 March 2017

Starting 2017

 After a relatively warm and dry winter, spring is now gathering pace.  My crocuses have been magnificent this year.
 Miniature daffodils and narcissus.
 The major remodelling on the vegetable plot is mostly finished, but more serious work to come.  This larg area has been changed with beds moved and the path relaid further down the slope (you can just see the imprint of the old path to the right), away from the apple trees which had grown so much they prevented walking along the path.  This slope can get very wet in periods of heavy rain which we had while building so it will need relaying again once it has settled, as it looks a little bit wobbly  
The winter jobs are all done now, the raspberries and other soft fruit pruned and the new loganberry shoots tied on for this year.  The broad beans, onion and garlic are all in, so now the priority is to weed and prepare beds for the year with compost and manure.