Tuesday, 28 April 2015

Spring, Winter, which is it?

 The temperatures had risen, the soil had warmed up and dried well so it was time to put the potatoes in.  Several trenches dug, to the delight of my allotment robin who bobbed about picking morsels out of the soil.
 I don't grow early potatoes anymore as our climate is just too variable - we are increasingly prone to very cold spells in the spring.  So these are maincrop - Desiree and Cara.  They're safely in now and under the soil which is just as well given the cold snap we now have.
 I tried the rhubarb but it isn't quite at its best yet, will try again later this week.
 Beetroot is either great or dreadful for me.  This year I have tried a method given me by another grower, to just create a divot in the soil with a stick or dibber, put the seeds in and cover them over with a little soil.  These are under a cloche now.  They seem to like it drier.
 It's nice to have some colour around the house now.
 My favourite white daffodils are the last to flower.
 All the pictures above were taken last week in the warm weather.  Now it is freezing, we had sleet last night and hard frost the last few nights.  Naturally my plum tree chose this time to start flowering, so I really don't know how many plums will set this year.  We'll have to wait and see.
The germination of my broad beans has been quite poor, unusually so.  It could be the long dry spell, it's hard to know.  Yesterday I filled in the gaps with spare beans and we had heavy rain afterwards so I hope they will grow better.  Strange weather, but it looks like being on the chilly side for the next week or two so I will probably hang back with sowing the tender plants.
Post a Comment