Sunday, 15 February 2015

Spring Approaching!

 These primroses started flowering in January, the earliest ever!  Of course they then got battered by snow and very low temperatures so are looking a little bit raggedy.  I put them on the doorstep out of the worst of the weather to encourage them.  But they are a harbinger of spring.
 As are these snowdrops, which will be flowering fully later this week.  These have been in my windowsill pots for years, but last year I rejuvenated the compost somewhat and they are repaying my kindness.  I do think that snowdrops are best appreciated in either two ways - a long drift in a field or border, or a bunch nearer head height like these, where you can see them well.
 These miniature daffodils are also rather further ahead than they should be.  They normally flower in March, but it looks like these will be out by the end of the month.
In regards to the vegetable garden, I have got my seeds, my potatoes and my garlic ready to go.  I'm itching to get out there and after my very busy 2014 when I had little time for gardening, am hoping to have a better year this year.
Post a Comment