Monday, 2 September 2013

Harvest Time 2013 Part 1

 It's the time of the year when all the hard work starts to pay off.  I have dug up the first crop of potatoes, Lady Balfour (I think, can't find the label), an early maincrop.  I actually started eating them a couple of weeks ago but they needed a little bit more time in the ground, even though they were delicious then.  Still have another crop to go, they're not quite there yet so I have time to dry and sort these.  Should have enough potatoes to see us through till Christmas.

I also investigated the carrots, pulling a few thinnings out to have a look.  I have been trying to grow carrots for 10 years and think I have finally cracked it this year.  The variety is Autumn King, which seems happy in our heavy soil and because we are overrun with carrot fly, I grew these under insect mesh from the start.  I am happy to report that there is absolutely no carrot fly damage so I think this will be the way to grow them in future.
I have a number of wild brambles in the corner of the plot which is not capable of cultivation, they are around an old tree stump, the tree was cut down several years ago now.  They have never produced anything worth eating but this year are covered in juicy blackberries.  The autumn raspberries are also starting to produce fruit and the strawberry plants which went in as new, tiny things earlier this year have also produced a late crop, so it has been a good year for fruit so far.
Post a Comment