Thursday, 20 June 2013

A Tale of Three Poppies...

... the Himalayan Blue, which has pushed up several flowers this week and sits by the front door where I can admire it, protected from snails by copper tape around the pot
 ... the common (and endemic round here) Welsh yellow, which finds gaps in the paving stones to its liking
 ... the Oriental red, which is showing a bit more life this year but still seems to struggle, I don't seem to be able to find a position it likes.  Anyway, some lovely poppy flowers this year, so I can't complain!
 I will post more on the vegetable garden next week, but here are the highlights.  Wood pigeons took the heads off all my early peas and then moved on to the cabbages in an orgy  of gluttony.  They are all now netted and recovering, though I will have to take precautions with every delicious seedling now, plus the redcurrants which they had a go at last year too.
I have planted out my pumpkins, marrows and courgettes, though my courgettes did not germinate well due to the cold.  As it's warm now I have sowed direct into the soil under bell cloches for safety.  The courgettes are a new variety, supposed to do well in our climate, but it's not looking good so far!

Happy gardening!
Post a Comment