The trials, tribulations and occasionally utter futility of growing flowers, fruit and vegetables.
Sunday, 15 January 2012
Back to Work!
Well, it's been almost two months since I was at work on the vegetable plot. In that time we have had rain, hail, more rain, more hail, sleet, more rain... well, you get the idea. The ground is saturated, haven't been able to dig up parsnips, leeks or artichokes yet. But hurray! We have an almost rainless weather forecast for the next few weeks.
So it was time to replace the shed. The old shed above was rotting in several places and while being 12 years old, should have gone two years ago. Its replacement had been sitting inside it since early November, waiting for some fine weather.
So with a fine weekend and my Other Half available for two days, we set to work early on Saturday morning. Knocking an old shed apart is hard work, but once we got some of the boards off we realised that the rot was so extensive at the bottom we could probably just push it over and finish it that way. Hey presto! Took a couple of hours to demolish.
After clearing up the glass and depositing it in the very useful glass bin on the allotment site (no idea that existed!), all we had to do was lift the floor out of the way to come down on the concrete rafter and gravel support for the old shed. In this picture you can see two things: firstly the shed roof parked out of the way on the slope and secondly what I have called the "bramble dance" where OH got himself entangled in the rogue blackberry shoots.
So this is where the "fun" started. These sheds are supposed to be easy to put together, but as you fit one new piece, another fitted piece falls out of the slots. A rather suspect screwdriver coupled with screws which were too big for the purpose, and the odd mismatched hole resulted in a fair bit of swearing and aggravation. By 2.30 we had got the walls of the shed up and decided to call it a day. A hot bath for sore muscles beckoned.
Back to work early this morning with a better screwdriver and some smaller screws and after a good night's sleep we fair motored along. Here's the shed with roof and doors, rather firmer and more stable than yesterday. A trip to B&Q for some sealant for the suspect places where things didn't quite fit perfectly (they never do in DIY constructions) along with a burger from Burger King's drive thru to fortify us and the job was done. Time taken from beginning to end - 7 hours. Never again. This plastic shed has a 15 year guarantee. By the time this needs replacing I'll be rich (of course I will) and will pay a man to do it!