Monday, 31 May 2010

Successful Plantings

The runner beans that I had to plant unexpectedly earlier in the week have settled in well, helped by some decent rain this week. The variety is White Emergo, a white flowered variety that produces equally well whether it's dry or wet. I sprinkled slug pellets around them, but I've seen very few slugs this year - the cold winter seems to have killed a lot of them off, thankfully, but also this bed has had the anti-slug and anti-weed treatment, being completely walled in using paving slabs (see my winter posts) and this has certainly prevented easy access for the slugs.
The beetroot (Egyptian Turnip-Rooted) that I transplanted from pots is also doing fine - it looks like I lost a few, but 99% of them are fine. Just goes to show you shouldn't believe what you read in books when they tell you you can't transplant them.
Yesterday I planted out my first 3 marrows (Tiger Cross) from the first sowings. The replacements for the ones killed by the frost are growing on now, but won't be ready to go out for a couple of weeks. These marrows were planted in a mixture of horse manure and home-made compost. I spent quite a bit of time yesterday preparing beds for planting, with the addition of lots of compost so we can get the courgettes and cucumbers out as soon as they are ready. I generally put the horse manure directly in the planting hole as it is so precious.
The parsnips have germinated well this year and it should be a good crop this winter. It's hit and miss with these things, mostly down to the weather I think.
This is last year's perpetual spinach - I moved three plants which survived the winter to another bed so they can go to seed and save me the bother of buying seed next year.
This is this year's sowing of perpetual spinach, coming on well now we have had rain. I love spinach, now just on its own but in vegetable stews and other dishes, so have prepared the second half of this bed for the next sowing. I've given up on "normal" spinach as it always bolts for me, whereas with this variety I do get some good leaves before it goes.
This chard is another plant I will let go to seed - it planted itself last year in the bed where my broad beans are now. I often have nomadic spinach and chard plants appearing, so I keep my eye on them and leave them where I can or re-plant them elsewhere if they're in the way. My first sowing of chard didn't germinate too well, so I'm planning a second sowing which I hope will be more successful.
Post a Comment