Sunday, 14 February 2010

Feels almost like spring...

Yesterday I decided it was time to get the garlic in, and I also finished planting out the onions which I had grown on indoors earlier in the year. It was an easy job as the ground was already prepared.

Then I turned to rough digging of an area which will host the potatoes this year - weeds had grown in from the sides and it needed turning over. After that, I need to compost it so I can empty the heap which is currently sitting on the ground where I want to plant an apple tree. So I need to get a move on.

I forgot, however, that this was the first digging I had done since early November, after which we had torrential rain followed by torrential snow. You think your muscles will remember what digging means, and will be glad of the exercise after the winter months of inactivity. Not so. I now ache all over, can feel muscles in parts where I didn't think I had any and am looking forward to the rest of the week of no digging. Once a week is enough for now.
Still, it was nice to be out in the fresh air, with spring seemingly just around the corner - my snowdrops and daffodils are already appearing and the longer, lighter days fill me with anticipation of the season to come. If only my muscles were as keen...
Post a Comment