Wednesday, 21 October 2009

Last Courgettes

At the weekend I picked the last courgettes for this year (above). It's been a good crop, over a few months so I'm happy with that. Also in the basket is a collection of slug-nibbled chard, which I harvested from the tomato bed before clearing it (they had self-seeded, so a completely free crop). And yes, those are my wellies sneaking into the picture.

The potatoes will also be finished this week - we've been eating them since mid- June, so have had them for four months. The onions will also finish in a couple of days, a poor crop this year, like many other gardeners in this part of the world.

So I have been back to the greengrocer this week to buy onions and potatoes from Ormskirk (a local potato). Sad, but I still have more chard, leeks, parsnips, cabbages and purple sprouting broccoli from the vegetable plot to look forward to over the coming months.

Posting here will diminish now - the work consists mainly of clearing and composting beds for the winter and though you may be a keen gardener, photos of soil are really not very inspiring! I hope to be able to get all the preparation work done by the end of November - I'm well on track. Then there are other structural jobs to do, and things like buying a new apple tree. So I may not post so often now, only on interesting new things.
Post a Comment