Wednesday, 19 August 2009

The Things you find in a compost bin...

A long gap in my gardening this week - due to bad weather and a bad back, but I finally got back outside today. I decided to finish clearing the onion bed and prepare it for next year. I thought the soil needed some TLC, so decided to empty the compost bin onto the bed.

There were a few surprises in the compost bin:
  • three toads - one large, one medium and one tiny!
  • half a dozen empty coconut shells (from bird feeders) which my Mum put in before I suggested they would not decompose!
  • a small number of ants
  • my lost cheeseknife and my lost potato peeler (above)
I do have a habit of sweeping up cutlery in my veg peelings and I knew that the knife and peeler were in there somewhere. Last year I retrieved a vegetable knife (I had to buy a replacement while I was waiting for it to show), and I did have another potato peeler, but I have missed my cheese knife. So they just need a good clean before I put them back to good use.
I took the remaining broad bean pods off the plants today and put them to dry in the shed, with a similar number of fairly dry pea pods. I have never managed to grow my own bean seed, so this is a first for me. I have no idea whether it will work, and I will buy seed as well to be on the safe side, but you can never have too many beans and peas.

The courgettes are doing well, as you can see from the photo - one giant one heading to become a marrow!

I hope to do some more gardening at the weekend, so another post should follow in a couple of days.
Post a Comment