Saturday, 27 June 2009

Back in the garden

Sorry about the lack of posts recently.  I've been very busy and the weather has been hot, Wimbledon is on and so I spend a good few hours every day in front of the TV.  Yesterday I spent the day at Woolfest in Cumbria, buying lovely things such as alpaca fleece and merino/silk yarn but this is a gardening blog so you won't want to hear about that!  Anyway, normal service is being resumed now.  Here's today's haul from the plot, excluding the lettuce which is so prolific there is one compulsory meal every day consisting of a plateful of lettuce with whatever other items I can find to go with it.  Above are 4 pounds of potatoes, and 2 pounds of strawberries.
We have had hot, sunny weather with the occasional heavy rain shower and this has suited the plants.  The brassicas I transplanted a couple of weeks ago are growing well, as you can see from these cabbages.  I am looking forward to harvesting the first peas and broad beans next week.
This year the rhubarb flowered for the first time and today I found these enchanting seeds - to me they look like jewelled earrings.  I had no idea what the seeds would be like, so this was a nice surprise.
The feverfew plant in my clematis pot is in full flow.
And this is my cream shrub rose in the evening sun.  It's not covered in flowers, but is very green this year - I did want it to put on a lot of growth as it has struggled in the poor weather of recent years.  As you can see it is very healthy, with very little fungal disease, thanks to the diet of chimney soot!  So maybe next year it will have more flowers.
Post a Comment