Thursday, 21 May 2009

Sunshine at last

This is the flower stem of a bleeding heart plant (dicentra spectabilis) - one of my favourite plants, which is in my Mum's garden.  I don't have the right conditions for it.  If you enlarge the photo further down the page you will see some of the leaves are stripy - it started growing and was then hit by the last snow, we think.

This is a potentilla, also in my Mum's garden - it has stripy orange/yellow flowers which I really like.  

You may recall from an earlier post that I did a bit of a makeover on Mum's garden.  This is the scene one month on.  You can see the potentilla and bleeding heart towards the back.  The other plants are filling out now, and we lost none although the himalayan poppy struggled a bit.  Some self-seeded plants have grown up to soften the harsh lines of the stone (the yellow poppy at the front for example), and there is a hosta in a pot in the foreground too.  All in all, I'm quite pleased with it so far, though there is more to do.

Today's scenic photo is of the river Ogden, about 1/4 of a mile upstream from my house.

So, on to the vegetables.  I put in the pumpkins today, four of them.  Each has a good dollop of manure around the roots, and some slug pellets to protect them.  I seem to have lost some beetroot in the wet weather - slug damage I think, so I was liberal with the pellets (organic ones) today.

This is the sorrel, flowering.  I grow it for early salad leaves, and keep one plant to provide seed for next year.

Jerusalem Artichokes are now pushing on well.  I didn't harvest these this winter, as they had such a poor growing season.  I'm hoping for a better crop this year.

The lettuce is still going strong, potatoes too, so are the weeds and the grass!  Lots to do...

Post a Comment