Sunday, 10 May 2009

Day 2 of my weekend of gardening

At this time of year I wake up early, and it's nice to get outside before everyone else is up on a Sunday morning.  So after I had digested both my porridge and today's instalment of what our so-called representatives in parliament have been spending my tax money on, I got out soon after 7 am.

The garden at my house is tiny, so I grow all my vegetables on an allotment plot about half a mile away.  There's nothing nicer than walking up there, birds singing, sheep baaing, knowing you're the only person out.  I love May, the trees are so beautiful.  We always talk about autumn colour, but I think they are better in May - as each tree puts out its leaves, another shade appears.

Along my way I came across a young oak tree - I love the colour of its leaves!  Not sure my photo does it justice though.

Here's a beech, showing perfectly against a whitewashed house.

Anyway, on with the gardening.  This morning's project was clearing the bed next to the tomatoes so I can put the courgettes (zucchini) out later this week.  You can just see it (a mass of green weeds) in the photo from yesterday's post.  I never managed to clear this last year before the snow and frost, then in early spring there was a water pipe leaking just behind the wall which turned it into a bog.  The leak was repaired 10 days ago, and the soil was just dry enough for me to work it.  Very heavy though.  It's all cleared and manured now, but it took over an hour.

The damp weather has not only encouraged the slugs but the warmth has brought out the pea & bean weevil.  This little critter eats, appropriately enough, the leaves of peas and beans.  Here's a picture of my broad beans - you can see the crinkled edge where it has feasted on my lovely beans.  


Short of poisoning everything, there is no cure.  The best way is to just live with it and plant the beans early enough so they get well away before the weevils wake up.  That's one of the reasons I plant them in March under a cloche, so they have time to get established.  Once they've got going, the weevils don't slow them down much.

After cutting the grass, I picked some salad and headed home.  I'm going to have a day off gardening tomorrow as I ache all over.  Maybe I should ask for my MP to pay back some of my tax money in hard labour on my vegetable plot - what do you think?

Post a Comment