Thursday, 9 April 2009

Cuttings and Daffodils


We are having a bout of wet and windy weather here, so two days ago I took a couple of pictures before the wind flattened my daffodils.  Here's a pale variety of daffodil, can't remember the name - this particular flower is now sitting in a vase on my windowsill as it was blown over.  

While I was out, I had a look at the pots sitting on the sheltered side of the house, to see what was stirring.  I have a rose called New Dawn, a rambler which flowers in June/July - here's a picture from a post last year. 

A neighbour gave me some cuttings of this rose, only two survived and only one grew well, the other died 2 years ago.  I decided that it would be prudent to take some cuttings so when I pruned the survivor in July that year (I do this as it is clinging onto the wall with a few bits of string and the autumn gales risk damaging it), I took a few cuttings.   Last spring I had a look at them and found one had survived reasonably well, with small roots, one other still looked green but only had stumps for roots.  I repotted them, but the wet summer didn't help them much.  So I was pleasantly surprised to see that the more vigorous cutting is now thriving:
The other has also survived and is putting on new growth.  It's rather small though.  Still, I feel happier having another rose spare - I plan on keeping it in a pot for now.


Post a Comment