Sunday, 15 March 2009

Spring has arrived!

Finally, a lovely warm, sunny day with a light breeze - just perfect for gardening, and this weather is forecast to last most of the week.

It's amazing what a difference a week makes in the vegetable garden at this time of year.  In the last few days, everything has grown apace.  The garlic has come through well and is growing very fast, the onions are starting to show now, the leeks are fattening up and there are flower buds on one of my apple trees.

The rhubarb is growing well...

The purple sprouting broccoli will be ready to eat in a week or so...
















So I had to get out and get on with preparing the ground.  This morning I finished weeding the apple tree beds, then manured them, the plum tree, all the raspberries, the gooseberries, the blackcurrant, redcurrant and whitecurrant.  That's all the fruit manured now except the strawberries, which need a kneeling down hand weeding and feeding.  Maybe later in the week.

Then I finished preparing a bed for the broad beans and peas - composted and manured it, then covered it with a cloche to warm the soil.  After that I composted one of the potato beds as the potatoes will be ready to go in the ground in the next few weeks.

After all that, every muscle in my body ached, so I decided to call it a day.

Post a Comment