Thursday, 20 November 2008

Vegetables 2009


This is one of my favourite jobs - sitting down with my seed packets and notes as it gets dark in the afternoon to decide what to grow next year, perusing seed catalogues and dreaming of next year's sunny days.

So yesterday afternoon I plonked myself on the sofa with a cup of tea, laptop and reviewed this year's winners and losers.  After that I placed my online order for seeds, onions, garlic and potatoes.

The winners - Pentland Javelin and Cosmos potatoes, which produced record crops and kept us in potatoes for 5 months.  Also Alderman peas, Egyptian turnip rooted beetroot and Jetset onions.

The losers - the broad beans struggled with poor germination, so have changed to a hardier variety - Super aquadulce.  Pumpkins, cucumber and courgettes also did poorly, but that was due to the weather.  

After making my list, I set about planning the crop rotation for next year.  Here is the plan of my vegetable plot.  Not strictly accurate and to scale, but you get the idea.


Post a Comment