Sunday, 28 September 2008

No time for gardening


With all the schools and students back hard at their studies, I'm being rushed off my feet with work.  I've had little time to get out in the garden this last week, so all I have been able to do is pick fruit (raspberries) and vegetables (courgettes, runner beans, cabbage).

Yesterday I managed to get a couple of hours in my Mum's garden, which needed serious attention.  It's small but shady and with the two wet summers we have had, has been overrun with creeping nettle, buttercups and ferns.  I waded in yesterday afternoon, and the photo shows progress so far - most of the space you see was taken up with a very large bracken plant which took me a full 30 minutes to dig out, involving rock moving, levering and a great deal of effort.

We have extra stones dug up from a neighbour's garden and the plan is to build up the beds to make them deeper, add compost/soil and some new plants.  The established plants should benefit from the extra room and sustenance.  At the top is a lovely bleeding heart plant, which has not done well recently as it has been swamped, so we hope it will do better.  I will post some photos next year!

I hope to be able to make some more progress this week.


Post a Comment