Thursday, 18 September 2008

No rain since Tuesday!

For the first time in recent memory, we have had two consecutive days without rain!  Hurray!

So I got the "summer" pruning done on my fruit trees, except the gooseberries, which I will have to do when I have cut the grass.  My method is simple - cut the new growth of laterals (the side shoots on the branches) of apples to 3 leaves in length, the plum laterals to 6 leaves, the plum leaders (the main bit of the branch) to 8 leaves, and the redcurrant laterals to 5 leaves.  Works a treat.  So I now have tidier trees which I hope will produce more fruit next year.

Then I got on with one of my favourite jobs - there is nothing nicer on a sunny September afternoon than sitting in the sunshine, rubbing mud and outer skins off onions and garlic, before bringing them in the house for winter use.  The smell of dry onions is one of my favourites - maybe I'm weird, but that's the way it is...
Post a Comment