Tuesday, 15 July 2008

I'm really starting to hate strawberries


So, over half way through the year and the vegetable garden is in full swing. We're into glut time and I'm really starting to hate strawberries - eight pounds (four kilos) so far and I am just about to pick some more. Strawberries and cream, stewed strawberries, strawberry crumble and today rhubarb and strawberry streusel (like a crumble but with some ground almonds instead of half the flour - delicious). I moved the strawberries last year and with that and the awful summer, they produced almost nothing. They're making up for it this year, with a vengeance.

As for the redcurrants, a bumper crop - almost 18 pounds (9 kil0s), nearly killed me picking them. Happily they freeze well, so some are in the freezer and the rest went into jam, 16 jars of it in fact. Gifts for family and friends...

I'm now getting up the courage to pick the gooseberries, a nice fruit from the most vicious bush in the world. I'll let you know how I get on!
Post a Comment